Washington Park is one of the oldest parks located in Portland, Oregon. The city purchased forty acres in the year 1871 from an early developer named Amos King. When the park was designed it was actually located a little distance from the center of the city at the time. In the 1880s a park keeper was hired and they worked to landscape the area. In 1922 the park was expanded by 160 acres the newly acquired area became the home to the Hoyt Arboretum, the Oregon Zoo, the World Forestry Center and the Portland Children's Museum. The park's trails span over 15 miles, some of the trails are a part of a 40-mile loop that connects Washington Park with Pittock Mansion, Forest Park to the north, and Council Crest to the south. The whole area of Washington Park is 410 acres big.
At Washington Park, there are a number of both statues and fountains. The Lewis and Clark Memorial Column were dedicated by Theodore Roosevelt in the year 1903 to honor the discovery of the Norwest. The Coming of the White Man is a statue of two Native Americans, one is chief Multnomah. The Sacajawea and Jean-Baptiste is a statue of a framed Shoshone Native American woman. The chiming fountain is also called the Washington Park Fountain and it is named that because of the sounds of the falling water. Loyal B. Stearns Memorial Fountain was put up in 1941 to honor former Oregon Judge Loyal B. Steams. The last fountain is called the Frank E. Beach Memorial Fountain which was designed and made by an Oregon Artist in the year 1975.